Sunday 26 February 2012

Bread and Butter Pudding


My first recipe takes me back to my childhood in that it's one Mum used to make to use up any bread that was going a bit stale:

This recipe is based on my memory of Mum's bread and butter pudding but she never taught me to make it and I've never seen her recipe so I think it's only fair that I take full blame for this version. Note the lack of quantities for anything but the custard. This is because I just add slices of bread and handfuls of fruit as required. If it comes to that, I suppose one could even use fruit other than currants, raisins and sultanas although I've never tried.



Serves:               8
Prepare:            20 mins
Cook:                 60 mins

Ingredients:

                          2        eggs, beaten
                          50g    butter, melted
                          2 tbs  vanilla extract
                          1 pt    milk
                          4 tbs  caster sugar
                                     bread
                                     currants
                                     sultanas
                                     raisins
                                     demerara sugar

Method:

Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas mark 3. Lightly grease a 23x33cm dish.

In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, butter, vanilla and milk.
Gradually add the sugar and mix thoroughly until the sugar is dissolved.

Place a layer of bread slices in the bottom of the prepared dish.
Cover with a thin layer of currants, raisins and sultanas.
Pour the liquid over the bread, fully saturating all the bread.
Add another layer of bread followed by another layer of fruit.
Continue in this way, adding the liquid to soak the bread as you go until the dish is nearly full.

Top off with a layer of bread and sprinkle the demerara sugar over the top.

Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Please note all comments are moderated.